LB or not LB, that is the question

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Tue Nov 16 13:57:03 EST 1993

In article <2cb4mk$r62 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,  <JAB5 at VAX.YORK.AC.UK> wrote:

>JAB5 at VAX.YORK.AC.UK wrote:
>: There seems to be 2 recipies for "LB" in the literature.
>: My recollection is that it stood for Luria-Bertani Broth and
>: contained 5g NaCl per litre.
>: Modern recipies have 10g NaCl per litre.
>stuff deleted
>
><  I'm quite sure you have it backwards.  The original LB broth
><as handed down by Jeff Miller (1972, Experiments in Molecular
><Genetics) has 10g NaCl per liter.  Modern recipies have 5.
><Patricia L. Foster
><pfoster at bu.edu
>
>Maybe we're getting somewhere
>
>Advanced Bacterial Genetics (1980) Davis, Botstein, Roth 5g/l
>Sambrook et al (1989) 10g/l
>

>Any further quoted recipies?
>
>Jim Brannigan

To further confuse the issue, I found an "L broth (complex medium for
rapid growth of _E. coli_ and other _Enterobacteriaceae_) in Manual of
Methods for General Bacteriology (1981), p238.

NaCl ... 0.5 g (yes 1/2 gram)

--
John Nash                           (nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca)
Institute for Biological Sciences,  National Research Council of Canada,