Cleaning sequencing gel plates

David Johnston daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 03:19:28 EST 1993

On 16 Nov 93 17:44:16 GMT,
  Alan Gerstein writes:

>Do you use 0.5 - 1.5 M sodium hydroxide to clean your glass plates?

No,
After use, we soak in decon neutracon or decon 90 (although the latter is
recomended for R/A decontamination, it precipitates calcium something
rotten from our water, requiring a good scrubbing to remove, and so we are
currently favouring the former which doesn't), rinse in tap water, put
through our washing machine on its plastic cycle (Neodisher detergent),
rinse in distilled water and air dry. Prior to plate assembly we wipe with
propanol, repel-silanise (every time!), rinse in distilled water, air dry
and use a compressed air line to blow dust away.

Laborious but it works.
Cheers,
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)