Is Glass truely inert to >1.0 M. NaOH

Joyce Bock jbock at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Wed Nov 17 17:31:37 EST 1993

> Hello,
>
> Will repeated exposure of glass (as found within a plate used for sequencing
> gels) to NaOH alter the surface so that the glass will not react with
> Bind-Silane, and thus not bind a sequencing gel?  The plates are rinsed with
> water after NaOH treatment.  Bind-Silane is
> methacryloxypropyl-trimethoxysilane.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan at Pharmacia

NaOH will etch glass if left on long enough.
But I have used and removed Bind-Silane (or gel-goo, I call it) from
plates many times and have had no trouble at all.  If you are worried
about the effect of the NaOH, however, 2% KOH works just as well to
remove the gel from the plate, and you don't have to worry about
etching.  (I've also mistakenly used 20% KOH, and have had no ill
effects!)
Hope this helps.

Joyce Bock
jbock at kzoo.edu