MJ Thermocycler software problem?

Michael Finney finney at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Thu Nov 18 21:10:43 EST 1993

In article <93322.135834FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>  Fisher reports that MJ have stopped shipping their thermocyclers because of
>  a software problem. Does anyone have any information on this?
>                                                    Sincerely,
>                                                              Don Forsdyke
>                                                              Queen's Univ.
>                                                              Canada

Yes.  This only affects the larger PTC-100 models, which are being
switched over to using a snazzier power supply.  The new power supply
can be plugged in anywhere in the world, provides slightly more
power than the old one, has built-in power for a heated lid
accessory, and reduces the weight of the machines.

Anyway, software needs to be changed to deal correctly with the
new circuit.  There is nothing wrong with the software in the
machines out in the field.

There is an order backlog, as usual, but the production staff
are making nearly 100 machines a week.  The expected wait time
for new orders is 4 to 5 weeks, about what it's been for the last
6 months or so.  I shouldn't complain, there are worse problems
than having more orders than we know what to do with.

By the way, in three weeks or so MJ Research will have its very
own internet connection, with the address "mjr.com".  And the
company has a new physical address, with about 4 times the space
of the old place.  The new address is:
149 Grove St.
Watertown MA 02172 USA

Mike Finney