Detaching stem cells from magnetic beads

Oh Kah Weng Steve engohkw at leonis.nus.sg
Fri Nov 19 01:37:46 EST 1993

Dear netters,

My group has been using Dynal immuno-magnetic beads for ~ 1 year now in
attempting to select for CD34+ stem cells. The binding of the cells are
excellent. But when it comes to detaching them suing the "Detachabeads"
antibodies that Dynal sell, we always lose 50% or more of the beads which
still remain on the ....stupid beads!

We've tried enzymes like pepsin, longer incubation times,...etc. but no
luck so far!!!

Would appreciate  any suggestions. Thanks.

Steve Oh (Project Leader)
Bioprocessing technology Unit, National University of Singapore.