Cleaning sequencing gel plates

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sun Nov 21 14:45:52 EST 1993

Jim Owens (jow at helix.nih.gov) wrote:
: In article <931116174415_76467.702_BHA63-1 at CompuServe.COM> Alan Gerstein,
: 76467.702 at CompuServe.COM writes:
: >Do you use 0.5 - 1.5 M sodium hydroxide to clean your glass plates?

[stuff deleted]

: The only reason to use strongly basic cleaners is to remove the silane
: applied to the plates.  For that, we use warm KOH by dissolving KOH in a
: small amount of water and smearing it over the plates for 15 seconds or
: so.

In my experience, it is also possible to get rid of silane (repel silane
as well as binding silane) by cleaning the plates with acetone (after
the usual procedures with water/detergent).

Just my $0.02, Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3975 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (R. Dawkins/anonymous)      */