Service contract necessary for PE cycler?

txpljfg at UABCVSR.CVSR.UAB.EDU txpljfg at UABCVSR.CVSR.UAB.EDU
Mon Nov 22 09:43:31 EST 1993

> We have a three year old Perkin Elmer Cetus 480 thermal cycler that
> has always been on a service contract but always performed flawlessly.
> The annual contract ($920 US) is up for renewal.  Is it worth the
> money to re-up or worth it to take the risk?  Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Irv
>
> Irv Kornfield
> Dept. of Zoology
> University of Maine    tel: 207-581-2548
> Orono, ME 04469-5751   fax: 207-581-2537

The PE cyclers, while pricy, are extremely reliable.  While I know they
occasionally fail, I have never actually seen a broken one.  If you
have had a service contract for three years at $920, that is almost 50%
of the cost of a new one!.  That sounds like a very expensive insurance
policy to me.

James F. George, Ph.D.              "Science is simply common sense at its
Department of Surgery                best -- that is, rigidly accurate in
University of Alabama at Birmingham  observation, and merciless to fallacy
205-934-4261 voice                   in logic"   --Thomas Huxley
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu