I NEED HELP

Kermit Rose rose at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Sun Nov 21 22:35:23 EST 1993

bmcnulty at OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (bob) writes:

>      I am the manager of a stockroom/lab facility which is responsible for
> servicing the needs (chemical, reagents, and equipment) of a Biology
> department in a small university (14 - 16000 students).  The facility I
> manage supplies these items for over 80 laboratory class sections per week
> with only 3 personnel while at the same time managing a service/checkout
> window which is open for 6 hours each day (9:00am 'til 3:00pm). The
> department has 20 PHD faculty and several part time MS instructors or TAs.
>
> I seem to have found myself in the middle of a rather large debate with one
> faculty member who insists that he/she have unlimited access (a key and
> pass code) to the area I manage (which is currently under alarm and houses
> well over $1,000,000 worth of inventory) because she/he needs supplies to
> do unfunded research at hours other than those when the facility I manage
> is open.  The other faculty are either supported by grants or are not
> actively involved in research.
>

>      IN AN EFFORT TO SOLVE THIS DILEMMA I NEED YOUR HELP!!!
>
>      I SEEK ONLY DATA.

I would predict that this would not solve the dilemma.  Did you propose to
the researcher that you pull the items needed with one day's notice.  If
the need is really for research, it would be only a minor handicap to have
to plan the materials to be used and call with a list.

On the other hand, if the researcher is addicted to some medicine and does
not wish to admit it, you have somewhat of a problem here.  I suggest that
you talk to the researcher again and try to come to a procedure that will
solve both the needs of the researcher and the security needs.

--
rose at garnet.acns.fsu.edu          To be sure I see your response, use e-mail.