Fixing sequencing gels

Jim Owens jow at
Thu Nov 4 10:57:06 EST 1993

In article <1993Nov4.174558.344 at> Martin Kennedy,
mkennedy at writes:
>We never bother fixing sequencing gels; solves the problem well!  Just
>to 3M paper and dry, works fine.

No one in our lab has fixed a sequencing gel since 1986.  We just pry the
glass plates apart, transfer to Whatman 3MM paper, and dry.

Recently, when all the gel dryers were in use, we found that gels dry
faster if laid on top of the gel dryer.  The problem is to keep careless
people from putting something down on the gel while it is on the dryer.

Good luck,

Jim Owens