CsCl purification of plasmid DNA

Joy Richman jrichmn at
Tue Nov 30 15:39:20 EST 1993

Dear Netters,

I have been having an intermittant problem with my Maxi preps. We are
purifying plasmid DNA on a CsCl/ EtBr gradient in an ultracentrifuge,
pulling the bands and then extracting the EtBr with TE saturated
sec-butanol. Unfortunately we cannot seem to find our DNA after
precipitation with 2 volumes of 100% EtOH. The DNA does not seem to want
to come out of solution. We have tried adding 1/10th volume of 3 M NaOAc
(pH 5.2) but no success. Can anyone suggest a reliable extraction
procedure that will result in DNA pellets at the end of the prep?

Joy Richman

jrichmn at

The most important event in life is not birth or death but gastrulation.
Lewis Wolpert
jrichmn at