CsCl purification of plasmid DNA

Joy Richman jrichmn at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Tue Nov 30 15:39:20 EST 1993

Dear Netters,

I have been having an intermittant problem with my Maxi preps. We are
purifying plasmid DNA on a CsCl/ EtBr gradient in an ultracentrifuge,
pulling the bands and then extracting the EtBr with TE saturated
sec-butanol. Unfortunately we cannot seem to find our DNA after
precipitation with 2 volumes of 100% EtOH. The DNA does not seem to want
to come out of solution. We have tried adding 1/10th volume of 3 M NaOAc
(pH 5.2) but no success. Can anyone suggest a reliable extraction
procedure that will result in DNA pellets at the end of the prep?

Joy Richman

jrichmn at cc.umanitoba.ca

--
The most important event in life is not birth or death but gastrulation.
Lewis Wolpert
jrichmn at ccu.umanitoba.ca