Recovery of DNA from acrylamide gels

Dave.Segal ds1539 at u.cc.utah.edu
Fri Nov 26 22:31:37 EST 1993

Duncan Clark (Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi Netters,

: Yet more questions!

: Does anyone have an efficient method of recovering DNA fragments from
: acryalmide gels, size of the order of 4.5kb?

: As an aside. Agarase digests agarose. Does anyone know of an enzyme that will
: digest acrylamide?

: Thanks

: --
Dear Duncan,
Bio 101, the makers of GENECLEAN, sell a kit called MERMAID which is
marketed to extract oligo-MERs out of acrylamide gels.  I don't know
how well it works on big fragments, but you might call them and see
what they recommend.  Actually, I'm surprised they you are purifying a
4.5 kb frag from acrylamide; isn't that kind of large?  Couldn't you use
agarose?

- Good Luck!
- Dave Segal
- Biochemistry, U. of Utah