cleavable acrylamide cross-linkers?

Thu Oct 7 15:06:47 EST 1993

Hi Brian:
> 	I know that there are some other cross-linkers for acrylamide.
> Are any of them cleavable?  I'd think it would be handy to "digest" the
> gel and thus find it easier to get the protein out of it.

One suggestion I can make is the solubilizable acrylamide disulfide
gels made with disulfide containing crosslink bis-acrylylcystamine.
You can obtain this from BioRad.  You just solubilize the gels by i
incubating with mercaptoethanol.  You may want to look up the article
by Hanson, Analytical Biochem. 116:146-151.
Hope it helps.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu
Univ of Pittsburgh