polyanion heparin

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Fri Oct 8 14:28:00 EST 1993

In article <1993Sep28.143115.4377 at rockyd.rockefeller.edu>
ralston at rockyj.rockefeller.edu (Diana Ralston) writes:
>Heparin is a mucopolysaccharide sulfuric acid ester that
>prolongs the clotting time of blood.  It is highly negatively
>charged (hence polyanionic) and as such somewhat chemically
>mimics nucleic acid.  We used it in my old lab as a competitor
>of protein-DNA interactions; it can "soak-up" up DNA-binding
>proteins, for example, RNA polymerase or transcription factors
>that are attracted to all that negative charge.  I haven't
>heard it used as an RNAse inhibitor before, but I suppose the
>same principle applies.  I can't recall where we purchased it,
>but I have a vague memory of it being in a Sigma bottle.  It
>should be generally available . . . be sure to look for it
>just as Heparin.  Heparin sulfate is also an affinity matrix
>for purifying DNA-binding proteins.
>
>Diana Horvath
>ralston at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
****************************************************************>
Isn't "HEPARIN" an acronym for HEPAtic Rnase INhibitor?
Sounds like it!!!
I have used it way back in my grad student days as an RNAse inhibitor!!
It was a standard in the RNA extraction Buffers I used to make up,
especially for things like polysome gradients!  I used it at
0.5 mg/ml concentration.  Ref McKenzie et al 1975, PNAS.72pp1117-11121.

Dan Gietz
______________________________________
R.Daniel Gietz Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Human Genetics
University of Manitoba
770 Bannatyne Ave, Rm 250
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
R3E 0W3
Tel.: (204)789-3458
Fax.: (204)786-8712
E-mail GIETZ at BLDGHSC.LAN1.UMANITOBA.CA
"Trying to do the Manitoba Thing"