Nobel prize for PCR inventor

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Fri Oct 15 01:03:24 EST 1993

lsimon at alnus.for.ulaval.ca (Luc Simon) writes:

> >The Nobel prize for chemistry was awarded to Kary Mullis for the
invention
> >of PCR and to Michael Smith for his work on directed mutagenesis!
> >
> >Since this newsgroup regularly carries discussions about these
two
> >methodologies, it would be appropriate for us as a group to
express our
> >congratulations to these two researchers for their outstanding
> >contributions!
>
> 	I would like to add that Philip Sharp and Richard Roberts
also
> were awarded Nobel Prizes this week for their work on the
existence of
> introns.  Let's extend the congratulations to them as well.

Heartily seconded!  We got the picture of Mullis in our evening
newspaper yesterday, with the surfboard under his arm.  Just said he
got it for inventing the technique that inspired the book "Jurassic
Park".  Which was that - electric fencing?

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |                                      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |      "Lord, won't you buy me         |
 | Dept Microbiology           |          A Mer-ce-des Benz           |
 | University of Cape Town     |     My friends all have Porsches     |
 |                             |          I must make amends..."      |                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |            (Pearl, 1971)             |