ABI are they legal???

Michael Coyne mjcoyne at warren.med.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 13 12:01:14 EST 1993

> In article <leach-081093150939 at med-pharm5.bu.edu>, leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
> (Martin Leach) wrote:

... stuff deleted...

> > ABI say they will not give us a service contract until we use their
> > reagents exclusively.   Is this legal????  In their warranty they say it
> > becomes void if you do not use their reagents exclusively, I believe this
> > is restriction of trade.   Is this legal????

... stuff deleted...

> > A very angry scientist
> >
> > Martin Leach

Martin...

I recall a similar issue concerning the use of generic or re-filled toner
cartridges in HP LaserJet printers.  There was in fact a ruling of some
sort that said something to the effect that negating a warranty or warranty
repairs due to the use of third-party, equivalent products was not legal.
If you need the ammo, I can dig this info up for you - my brother owns a
computer reseller company, and has all the documentation to convince
customers of this...

Mike