DNA extraction

Zhongtang Yu zyu at kirk
Sat Oct 9 14:37:55 EST 1993

Hello netters!
	Help.
	I have been trying to extract the DNA from a aquifer directly. I
have tried a few procedures but I failed because the aquifer contains only
10e4 to 10e5 bacteria/gram of aquifer.  Anybody has successful experience
to get DNA from aquifer containing low # of bacteria?
	Also I am trying to extract the DNA from a biological activated
carbon(BAC).  The BAC has many many bacteria but because of the adsorption
of DNA onto the activated carbon I got a very low yield. Any effective way
to desorb DNA from activated carbon?
	Thanks.

Zhongtang Yu
Dept. of Biol.