activated charcoal

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:54:00 EST 1993

In Article <1993Oct13.152105.19462 at es.dupont.com> "ottcr at esvx17.es.dupont.com" says:
> In article <CEsrHE.5L2 at ucdavis.edu>, szbongue at othello.ucdavis.edu () writes:
> >
> >Does anybody out there know about activated charcoal.  I would like to use
> >it to separate hot ATP from a protein mixture.  Any ideas. Please send
> >response to mabongue at ucdavis.edu. I'll appreciate it. Thanks,
> >Monica
> >
> Have you considered one of the NENSorb purification cartridges from
> DuPont-NEN products.
>
> Give me a call at 1-800-772-2636 or E-mail ottcr at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
> for further information.
>
> Best Regards,  Charly Ott

When I was working for Dr. Jack Preiss as a post doc, we used a product
called Norite for this purpose.  Norite is a brand name of powdered activated
charcoal.  I cannot recall the source.  For details of use, you can look up
almost any of Dr. Preiss's papers.  Breifly, we reacted 32-P, PPi and
ADP-Glucose with ADP-Glucose Pyrophosphorylase to get Glucose-1-Phosphate
and 32-P, ATP.  We then stopped the reaction with TCA and added saturating
NaPPi and Norite and sat on ice for a few minutes.  Then spun down the
Norite and washed away free PPi and G1P with more TCA, Released free
32-P Phosphate with boiling 1N HCl and counted the super in a scintilation
counter.  Hope this helps.
.
.			Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
.			Dept. of Crop and Soil Science