pUC118 Sequence

David Stillman stillman at bioscience.utah.edu
Sun Oct 17 13:32:07 EST 1993

Re: pUC118 Sequence

I am going to add to the confusion about pUC118.

We obtained an new plasmid from J. Messing called pUC21, which was
described in Gene 100:189.  According to this paper, pUC21 was created by
replacing the polylinker of pUC118 with a new polylinker.  I wanted to
create a computer version of pUC21, so I first attempted to create a
computer version of pUC118.  I had difficulties, based on the sketchy
information in the paper that describes pUC118 (Meth. Enzymol. 153: 3).

There is a map of this pUC21 plasmid in Gene 100:189.  Surprisingly, this
map shows a SacII site in the promoter/operator region of pUC21.  Since
pUC21 is derived from pUC118, this SacII site should be in pUC118 also.
I know of no other pUC derived vectors with a SacII site in this region.

I agree with other posters:  Beware!

David Stillman
stillman at bioscience.utah.edu