35S volatility and incubators...

wetsel_r at msdisk.wustl.edu wetsel_r at msdisk.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 21 23:03:40 EST 1993

In a previous article, goldberg at unixg.ubc.ca (Goldberg Andrew) wrote:

>I will shortly be doing metabolic labelling of cells in culture with
>35S-cys and 35S-met, and do not wish to frighten/enrage co-workers with
>
>1) Does anyone employ such a device?
>2) Is such a thing available ready-made?
>3) Is such a thing really necessary?  (I expect to be putting a few
>   hundred micro-curies into this incubator, potentially overnight)

----

Whether you need such a device will depend on how much or how many
metabolic labeling reactions you foresee having to do.  We routinely do
them in small volumes with small amounts ( less than 200 uCi per group) and
we rarely label longer than 4 hours (except for pulse chase experiments).
Cys isn't the problem, the Met is.  It is volitle and light up your
incubator like a Christmas tree if you use a lot of it very often.  "Do we
employ such a device?" No - at least not yet as decontamination of the
incubator has has only been 2-3 times per year.  Why? (Is such a thing
available?) Yes and they aint cheap!  They are air-tight circular 14-16
inch plastic containers that run about $175 a pop.  For those that get
those "biotechniques action cards", everynow and then there is a
advertisment for these containers in that collection of cards - maybe
someone could post the pertinent info.  They come with a charcoal filter.
"Will you need it?"  again, you need to determine if this is something
you're going to do a lot to justify the cost.  If you're only going to
label every now and then, you may not need it.

Hope this helps,
David
haviland at kids.wustl.edu