Blue Protein?!

beatriz at animal.ufl.edu beatriz at animal.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 26 09:48:38 EST 1993

In article <1993Oct26.180345.1 at vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au> brendan at vcp1.vcp.
monash.edu.au writes:
>I've been purifying a protein from human plasma and
along the way
>I've collected a fraction containing a blue protein. On a 12%
SDS>gel this fraction shows three major bands near 20, 30 and 60kDa.>Does
anybody have any idea what the blue protein is? I have heard>that blood does
contain one blue protein. All suggestions are>welcome.

>Brendan Duggan

Brendan,

it's possible you are enriching for type-5 tartrate resistant acid
phosphatase. It is an iron binding protein with a mw of about 33 kDa. The
porcine counterpart, uteroferrin, is referred to as the purple protein.

Good luck,
Beatriz.