heparin-agarose

Klara Briknarova kb87+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 27 09:24:18 EST 1993

Every DNA binding protein must "like" negative charge since DNA
phosphate backbone is negatively charged. And heparin is a polyanion, so
the binding to heparin-agarose can be explained as electrostatic
interaction, and you actually have ion exchange column.
(Some specific interaction may also be involved - I don't know.)
However, not only DNA binding proteins bind to heparin. In our lab, we
work with human plasma proteins, and kringle domain from urokinase-type
plasminogen activator also binds heparin (and arginine rich site of the
kringle is involved, so it is electrostatic interaction). And I think a
couple of other plasma proteins bind heparin as well.

Klara Briknarova
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Is the address kraj at uk.ac.crc complete? My computer is reluctant to send
anything to that address (host unknown).