Alternative plasmid preparation for mammalian transfection?

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Wed Oct 27 19:56:25 EST 1993

>Are there methods other than CsCl banding that are suitable for preparing
>plasmid to be used
>for transient transfection of mammalian cells? In particular, can alkaline lysis
>followed by glass milk be used (e.g., Wizard minipreps)?
>
>We would especially appreciate hearing from anyone routinely using plasmid
>prepared by alternative methods in mammalian transfection experiments.

there was a recent publication for a modification of the good old Birnboim
alkaline lysis method:

       Feliciello, I. and Chinali, G., Anal. Biochem. 212: 394- (1993)

i have used the method with fair to good yields but did not use those
plasmids for transfections (which is possible according to the authors).

Alternatively, try using QIAGENS plasmid prep columns (QIAGEN, Chatsworth,
CA, 1-800-426-8157). That worked (if the prep worked) quite well for
transfection.

good luck,

helge

      ***        		Helge Weissig
    * . . *      		La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation
   *       *  	   	10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.
   * \___/ *    	 	La Jolla, CA 92037
    *     *	    	  	phone:  	(619) 455 6480 ext. 253
      ***  	 	     	FAX:    	(619) 455 0181