Phenol source

David Nunn David_Nunn at qms1.life.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:00:25 EST 1993

In article <cupton-271093125528 at hermes.bioc.uvic.ca>, cupton at sol.uvic.ca
(Chris Upton) wrote:

> Hi,
>    Well we all want to make SOME money, but it's clear that some companies
> are just a little too greedy :-(  And who suffers in the long run.....
>
> At least this won't be an "illegal" solution. I'm looking for a source of
> good cheap phenol for your everyday molecular biology jobs. I don't want to
> distill it myself. Let's see waht range of prices folks are paying. I'm
> especially interested in Canadian sources (of course).
>
> Here's MY bargain of the month:
> I did find a more reasonable bag-sealer for blots by doing a little
> research on my own. There's some plastic ones around, but I looked at a
> heavy duty metal type listed in CanLab catalogue for $400+, and I managed
> to find what looks like the same thing for about $150 (which I still think
> is pricey). That's quite a mark-up (Canadian dollars).
>  If anyone is interested I can post the company and address.
>
> Cheers,
>        Cheapo Upton.
>
> Chris Upton
> Biochem & Microbiol
> University of Victoria
> Victoria, BC   Canada     These are my views, damn it! Only mine!

Try Aldrich Chemicals
We have been using their phenol with no problems yet.
Catalog #32,811-1   12.50 / 100g compared to BRL 32.00 / 100g
P.S. Just make sure you have a can opener.
P.S.S. What is it with Aldrich and vermiculite?

David Nunn
Department of Microbiology
University of Illinois
Urbana, IL 61801