DNA ppt and CoCl2

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Thu Oct 28 23:37:33 EST 1993

Hi netters,

i have a problem w/ ppt a 20 bases long oligonucleotide after incubation in
a Cobaltchloride containing buffer. To be more precise: the oligo comes
down quite nicely, but so does enough CoCl2 to screw up my next experiment
even after extensive (2x) washing w/ 70% EtOH (i.e. i get a brown ppt of
Co-something, possibly due to the DTT in my next buffer - this is my next
question).

------> how can i get rid of the CoCl2? (gel purification should work but i
am as always in a hurry)

------> what is that brown crap i get?

any hints from someone who did'nt sleep through her/his anorganic chemistry
classes?

helge

      ***        		Helge Weissig
    * . . *      		La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation
   *       *  	   	10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.
   * \___/ *    	 	La Jolla, CA 92037
    *     *	    	  	phone:  	(619) 455 6480 ext. 253
      ***  	 	     	FAX:    	(619) 455 0181

"Smile! It could get worse." a friendly voice said. So I smiled and it got
 worse.