PCR with only one primer?

Fred Boyd, Ph.D. fredboyd at bmec.micro.umn.edu
Thu Oct 28 14:17:23 EST 1993

In article <edbeaty-281093123801 at koniskyj3.life.uiuc.edu>,
edbeaty at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Beaty) wrote:

> A colleague and I were wondering if there are any good methods of
> amplifying DNA by PCR using only a single primer.  Any thoughts, ideas or
> references about this subject would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
>
> Ed Beaty
> edbeaty at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

If the primer is short enough (or annealing temp low enough), there should
be priming sites close enough in genomic DNA to amplify, one would expect
to see different specific patterns for different short primers.  This has
been called arbitrarily primed PCR and there are a bunch of papers by
Williams (DuPont), Land and Pardee, and John Welsh.  Also primer sets are
available from OPERON.
--
Fred Boyd, Ph.D.                  Voice- 612-624-8150
Lab. Med. Path.                   Fax- 612-616-2444
University of Minnesota           E-Mail  fredboyd at bmec.micro.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN   55455