Best mini-gel system ?

Wagner Fontes WAGNERF at BRUNB.BITNET
Sat Oct 30 16:49:07 EST 1993

        We are planning to buy a new mini-gel electrophoresis system,
to be used mainly with PAGE to separate proteins. We currently use the
LKB system, but the results (resolution, sharpness, homogeneity) aren't
that good. We also have the PHAST system from  Pharmacia, that runs OK,
but the gels here are quite expensive.
        If you have any experience with mini-gel systems, either good
or not, please let me know.
        The priorities we are looking for in such equipment are:
        - Quality of the separation (resolution, sharpness, homogeneity,
                  possibility of high voltages, fast runs)
        - Easy to use (easy to prepare the gel system, align it, remove
                  buffer bubbles, load sample)
        - Resistence (not so easy to break thin glass plates, spacers
                  that do not turn into many parts in few days)
        - Price (if possible, the PERFECT system wouldn't be much
                 expensive. A GOOD system, in this case would be OK)

        All answers are welcome.

WAGNER FONTES
BRAZILIAN CENTER OF PROTEIN SEQUENCING
BIOCHEMISTRY AND PROTEIN CHEMISTRY LAB