Fixing acryl. gels

Kevin Morano ez005528 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 31 15:20:09 EST 1993

I've got a general question to which I've received a variety of disparate
answers. When one runs proteins on acrylamide gels, and then Coomassie
stains the gel in the presence of methanol and acetic acid, what happens
to the proteins? Do they crosslink to each other or to the gel matrix? How
does the acetic acid bring about this reaction?
Lastly, if I want to electroelute my proteins from gel slices, do I need
to skip the fixing step? If so, how best to stain the gel to find the
protein? Thanks in advance!

In hopes of illuminating answers,
Kevin A. Morano