Etoh wash - confessions of a paranoid researcher....

Bob DeLisio delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com
Thu Sep 2 12:35:44 EST 1993

"hdang at cns.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu" "Hong Dang" writes:

>>When you do an ethanol wash of a DNA precipitate do you try to resuspend the
>>pellet and spin, rinse the pellet and spin, rinse the pellet and just dry...

>Sometimes it is best to vortex-and-spin. Occasionally, I had high salt
>inhibiting ligation or other enzymes with just rinsing the pellet.

>Hong

I disagree that vortex-and-spin methods get rid of more salt than simple
difussion. In fact, they always do more harm than good. They shear the DNA and
reprecipitations always lead to sample loss.

Bob