ABI 373A automated sequencer - logistics of use/experience

David Johnstondaj daj at uk.ac.ic.nhm
Thu Sep 2 09:18:57 EST 1993

Greetings,
We have just secured funding for an ABI 373A automated sequencer (a very
big thank you to the Wellcome Trust). I know that ABI provide training in
the actual operation of the machine. However, as our system is to be
"shared" between several projects run by different Departments in the
Museum, I am interested in the wider issues affecting the day-to-day
running of an automated sequencing facility (the practicalities and
logistics) and in trying to anticipate potential problems. For example;

is multi-user operation practical? If so by how many users? Or is
dedicated technical support essential?

Prefered specification of networked Macs, VDU size, RAM, Disk size etc.

Raw data backup policies.

Storability of sequencing reactions.

Prefered chemistries; Taq vs Sequenase, dye primer vs dye terminator

Level of maintenance cover

Problems

If anyone has any comments on any of the above (or on anything else I have
forgotten), then I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Similarly, if anyone running a busy 373A facility (genome project?) reads
this and would be prepared to have me look over their shoulder for a day or
so, please get in touch.

Thank you, in advance,

DAJ
David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)