Saran wrap

Lawrence P. Casson lpcasson at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 3 20:18:20 EST 1993

In article <2C87657C at adminbldg.lan1.umanitoba.ca> GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca writes:
>---------------Martti Tolvanen, tolvanen at cc.helsinki.fi WRITES---------------
>This may sound stupid, but as a non-American I have no idea what Saran
>wrap is. Ordinary household polyethylene wrap or some special lab
>plastic?
>
>Cheers,
>                Martti
>
>************************???????????????*********************
>Hi Martti
>    It is just plain household plastic wrap made by Dow if I'm
>not mistaken.  We now use what ever is on hand for wrapping gels,
>visualizing oligos, wrapping lunches or many of the other lab chores!

I have become a firm believer in Saran Wrap and nothing but (mostly).
There aren't many things I use plastic wrap for where evaporation or
transfer of vapor is not a concern.  Saran Wrap always works.  Glad Wrap
is terrible.  Other alternatives seem to fall in between.  Our lab gets
gigantic rolls of plastic wrap - institutional size.  The properties
vary by manufacturer.  The current brand, Borden Sealwrap, seems pretty
good.  I've left some minigels on my bench for a couple of months and
they haven't dried out yet!

- Larry