Saran wrap

David Johnstondaj daj at
Mon Sep 6 03:20:52 EST 1993

On 3 Sep 1993 12:56:54 +0300,
  Martti Tolvanen writes:

>This may sound stupid, but as a non-American I have no idea what Saran
>wrap is. Ordinary household polyethylene wrap or some special lab
>  Martti

I believe that 'Saran' is just the brand name for what we call over here 
'cling-film'. We use ordinary domestic cling-film in the lab with no 
problems. The only thing to be careful is that some brands come with the 
roll of film pre-perforated for tearing into sheets and others come 
unperforated. Obviously if you are wanting to seal up a large P32-labelled 
sequencing gel for autoradiography you don't want the thing to leak!!!!

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at

More information about the Methods mailing list