Saran wrap

croth at pasteur.fr croth at pasteur.fr
Mon Sep 6 09:26:41 EST 1993

daj at uk.ac.ic.nhm ((David Johnston) daj) writes:

>On 3 Sep 1993 12:56:54 +0300,
>  Martti Tolvanen writes:

>>This may sound stupid, but as a non-American I have no idea what Saran
>>wrap is. Ordinary household polyethylene wrap or some special lab
>>plastic?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>  Martti

>I believe that 'Saran' is just the brand name for what we call over here
>'cling-film'. We use ordinary domestic cling-film in the lab with no
>problems. The only thing to be careful is that some brands come with the
>roll of film pre-perforated for tearing into sheets and others come
>unperforated. Obviously if you are wanting to seal up a large P32-labelled
>sequencing gel for autoradiography you don't want the thing to leak!!!!

>cheers
>DAJ
>David A. Johnston
>Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
>South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
>(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)

David is correct, Saran is just the brand name of a household plastic
wrap that is popular in the U.S. Since it was one of the first such
wraps, its name has become generic - like kleenex. We use a good
quality plastic wrap that comes in commercial size rolls. I find some
brands very thin and harder to work with. I've never seen
pre-perforated wrap here in France.

Good Luck,
Charlie Roth
Institut Pasteur