anything that kills bacteria but not yeast

chai_z at wehi.edu.au chai_z at wehi.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 20:53:35 EST 1993

In article <1993Sep6.124252.28205 at husc14.harvard.edu>, mlevin at husc8.harvard.edu (Michael Levin) writes:

>     Is there any agent that can be put in media which will discourage
> bacterial growth, but won't bother yeast? If you know of anything like
> that, please email mlevin at husc8.harvard.edu.
>
> Mike Levin

How about antibiotics? Penicillin, Streptomycin, etc have anti-bacto activities
depending on the bacto cell wall composition. I presume that the yeast
(eukaryotes) does not have cell wall, but a bi-layer lipid cellular
membrane (am I right?) which should not be affected. Pen/Str are commonly used
in animal tissue (cell) culture to prevent bacto contamination.

Zhonglin Chai
Melbourne