What's the Magic in Magic Minipreps?

ed beaty edbeaty at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 16 13:45:28 EST 1993

Hi!  My lab is doing a lot of DNA work right now, and we routinely use the
Magic (TM) Miniprep system from Promega.  It's basically an alkaline lysis
prep with a column purification step to get rid of proteins and linear and
nicked circular DNA.  My problem is, Promega tells you the composition of
the lysis and wash buffers, but not the nature of the resin used in the
column step.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the resin is,
or if there are other (preferably inexpensive) resins that could be used to
bind plasmid DNA but let all the other stuff pass through.

P.S. Sorry, Promega, your kits are great, but I just gotta know.

Ed Beaty
edbeaty at news.cso.uiuc.edu