anything that kills bacteria but not yeast?

Chris Black black at
Fri Sep 17 13:21:28 EST 1993

In article <271nae$4bs at> remaus at (Ron Emaus) writes:

+Yeast love to grow at pH 4 - 4.5;  It's a very rare bacterium that will
+tolerate such conditions.  I would question my sources if the media recipe
+called for pH > 6.
+Recall that women get yeast infections, not bacterial infections because
+the vaginal environment is acidic.  Also note that they use "monistat" a
+fungicide to retard yeast growth (not kill it).  Antibiotics are not used
+to treat yeast infections.

But then why are women advised to use dilute vinegar as a home
remedy for yeast infections?  Does this drive the pH too low even
for yeast?  Or waht?

black at
Irony is not the same thing as "irony"; point of view is not the same
thing as attitude;  I have no confidence at all that these distinctions
mean anything anymore.  -- Jon Carroll