Reuse of Large and expensive Qiagen columns

Duncan Clark Duncan at
Thu Sep 23 14:20:12 EST 1993

In article <cupton-220993090809 at> cupton at writes:

>I was told (& it may be in the manual) that the columns could be used 3-4
>times BUT on the same day. Then the resin is supposed to
>degrade/vanish/whatever. Probably there's some degree of performance loss
>so the company doesn't want to make rash guarantees. And more likely
>they're happier if you use a new one each time. I've used the the midi ones
>several times on the same day. The only problem I found was if the column

Given that the columns are basically ion-exchange why can't they just be
cleaned like any ordinary column ie high salt, NaOH etc. Has anyone taken the
column apart and autoclaved the resin? Do Qiagen gamma irradiate to provide
them sterile?

I don't have any to try but for those who have what have you got to lose.

Duncan Clark                        | Internet:    duncan at
GeneSys Ltd.                        | Compuserve:  100015.1406 at