Silent ClaI sites - info ?: Dam-Methylase again

knoblauch at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de knoblauch at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de
Thu Sep 23 08:57:11 EST 1993

In article <1993Sep23.105039.5638 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, VERNON at za.ac.uct.micro (vernon) writes:

> Does this apply exclusively to ClaI sites, or is there a list of
> additional restriction enzymes which act in an analogous way?

Well the New England Biolabs catalog lists:
AlwI, BclI, BsaBI, BspEI, BspHI, ClaI, DpnI,
HphI, MboI, MboII, NruI, TaqI and XbaI  as
'blocked by overlapping Dam-Methylation'

The reference the give is:

McClelland, M and Nelson, M, (1991); Nucl. Acids. Res. 19, 2045-2071

Probably such a table would be something to be included into the FAQ for this
group :-) (who is maintaining one, anyhow??), or is it already in it?

by the way, one possibility to overcome the dam-ned problems is to retransform
E.coli JM110 with your plasmid and prepare DNA from that for this particular
restrictions. JM110 is Dam- (and Dcm- (another of that nasty life-screwing-up
methylases).

		Klaus
InterNet:  Knoblauch at mpi-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de
EAN     :  Knoblauch at mpimg-berlin.mpg.dbp.de

> Es gibt zwei Arten von Narren: Die Einen sagen: das ist alt, und darum     >
> gut! Die Anderen sagen, das ist neu, und darum besser!                     >
Disclaimer: The above stated opinions are not necessarily shared by my
            employers. Some times not even by me.