How to lower background of silver staining

Sebastian Bunka Sebastian.Bunka at at.ac.vu-wien
Thu Sep 23 01:20:13 EST 1993

> Date:          23 Sep 93 17:29:43 GMT
> To:            "bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts mail newsgroup"
<bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
> From:          huangbx at SOL.CCS.DEAKIN.EDU.AU ("Huang Bixing")
> Subject:       How to lower background of silver staining

> Greetings to all,
>
> Could anyone tell me how to reduce the background of silver
staining in the
> polyacrylamide gel? Which step or what regents is crutial for low
silver
> staining background?
>
> Please reply to me at huangbx at deakin.EDU.AU or to the
> network. Thank you in advance.
>
> With regards
>
> Bixing Huang
> -----
>
> School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Deakin University,
Geelong
> -----

Try Farmers reducer (should be available from good - semi
professional- photoshops for B&W films; or mix by yourself: Dry
mixture of 3g sodium thiosulfate, 1g Na-hydrogen carbonate and 6g
K-ferricyanide; make final 0.5% solution).
After your last step wash gel 3x10 min in A. tridest.; soak gel in
farmers reducer for 1-30 sec (be very careful - bands can disappear
on prolonged incubation); wash gel 3x10 min in A. tridest.; dry.

SWB

|Dr. Sebastian Bunka      Email: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at     |
|Inst.f.Bakteriologie                                              |
|Vet.Med.Uni Wien         Phone: +43-1-71155/261                   |
|Linke Bahngasse 11       Fax:   +43-1-71 49 110                   |
|A-1030 Wien                                                       |