yeast viability assay help

Kathie Hodge kh11 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 11:59:51 EST 1993

IBELGAUFTS at de.mpg.biochem.vms writes:
>Trypane blue is used with a dye exclusion test to assay the viability of
cells
>in tissue culture. Is there a similar test for Saccharomyces cerevisiae?
Can
>trpan blue be used and if not what else? Any hints are welcome and I will
>summarise later.

Folks around here have used propidium iodide and fluorescein diacetate
(FDA) to look at viability of spores of entomophthoralean fungi (which
are even weirder than yeast! ;-) ).  Only dead cells will take up
propidium iodide, and they fluoresce orange-red in blue light; live cells
take up FDA and its hydrolysate, fluorescein, fluoresces yellow-green and
accumulates in the cytoplasm.  Use FDA by itself, if you want, but using
FDA and PI together makes for beautiful photographs!

A reference:
Butt, T.M., H.C. Hoch, R.C. Staples, and R.J. St. Leger. 1989. Use of
fluorochromes in the study of fungal cytology and differentiation.
Exper. Mycol.  13 : 303-320.

Good Luck
Kathie Hodge
kh11 at cornell.edu