RNA Gel

rphjr at nwu.edu rphjr at nwu.edu
Fri Apr 1 23:29:16 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar31.162243.1 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
wrote:

> In article <1994Mar31.153500.1 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:

To Northern runners,

		Formaldehyde is a wonderful chemical to use to keep RNA denatured, but it
is a known carcinogen and is rather toxic.  Why use it if you don't have
to.  You don't have to use it in RNA Northerns.  You can use a glyoxylation
protocol to denature Your RNA and keep it denatured.  I too was a sceptic,
being a formaldehyde man for years, until I tried it.  I've never had
better Northerns and I don't have to work with a well known carcinogen!  So
my suggestion to you is that if you feel formaldehyde is at the root of
your problem(sideways bands and inefficeint transfer), eliminate it.  If
you want the ever so easy glyoxylation protocol, e-mail me.  I am happy to
share.

Ron Herzig
Northwestern University
rphjr at merle.acns.nwu.edu.