Site directed mutagenesis

Abiye Iyo aiyo at uoguelph.ca
Fri Apr 1 23:27:06 EST 1994

 Dear netters,
 	I have finished sequencing a cellulase gene and the translated
 sequence when aligned with some other cellulases in the same family show
 some "putative" conserved residues in the family.  I have been thinking of
 what next to do with this sequence and I thought changing some of the so
 called conserved residues might be fun.  The idea is to see how these
 changes would affect certain characteristics of the enzyme.
 	So I am looking for a relatively straight forward method I could
 use to alter some of these residues.  I had read a paper in which they
 used  "a unique restiction enzyme site elimination technique" with a kit
 from Clonetech laboratories.  The method seemed very straight forward but
 I thought I should just ask in case someone out there may have used it.
 If yes could you just give me some insights ?  And if there are other
 simpler methods one can use I'd welcome any suggestions.
 	You my want to send replies to me.  My email address
 is aiyo at uoguelph.ca

 Thanks

 Abiye