Do you have to sequence both strands?

Thomas H. Rude rude0001 at acpub.duke.edu
Mon Apr 4 11:32:40 EST 1994

|In article <gosink-020494174955 at microb3.biostat.washington.edu>,
|John Gosink <gosink at u.washington.edu> wrote:
|>Hi,
|>						I was having a discussion with a person down the hall.  They claim
|>that there is _no_ regulation that says you have to sequence both strands

	As far as I know there isn't any regulation that says one has
	to read both strands. I do feel it is a good idea however for
	two reasons. 1). It confirms the reading of the first strand
	and sometimes one may miss a nucleotide which was not seen in
	one of the strands reading. This may not be important in short
	fragments of DNA but it is important for large Genes.
	2). It is always nice to have confirmation of sequencing by doing
	the other stand, best of all for publication accuracy.

|>of a length of DNA (they are working with cloned PCR products) for
|>submission to Genbank and/or a referreed paper.  Do you have any references
|>on this subject?
|>
|>			                              -John
|>
|>P.S.  They read a single strand, but make it a point to read each gel on
|>two different occasions and/or by two different people.

	Tom Rude
	Duke University Medical Center