RAIN-X on Sequence Gels?

Steven Coon at umich.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:14:58 EST 1994

In article <1994Apr4.211114.8716 at emba.uvm.edu>, kbarthol at moose.uvm.edu
(Kirk A. Bartholomew) wrote:

> I recently purchased a bottle of RAIN-X for use on my sequencing gels.
> How do I apply it?  Is it a matter of simply following the directions as
> printed on the bottle?  Please post reply to this newsgroup or Email to
> kbarthol at moose.uvm.edu.  Thanks, Kirk

Apply with a kimwipe to one side of each gel that is always exposed tothe
gel surface. You will have to experiment as to how much. Too much will not
allow the plates to stick together suffiently so that the comb fits snuggly
when the samples are loaded. You may see little bubbles forming between the
plate and the gel but thats ok the gel will still run fine. Someone else on
the Usenet suggested using Pam but I don't know how well it works because I
never have tryed it but that is another option. The Rain-X has a shelf life
and after about 6-9 months does't work nearly as well so you'll need to buy
another. I would start by adding a drop about the size of a dime and see
how that works and go from there. If you have questions email me.

Steve Coon
sdcoon at umich.edu