Sequencing Gel adheres to both plates

Steven Coon at umich.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:25:38 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.87.9404061118.C11514-0100000 at cmu.chiangmai.ac.th>,
asmsi002 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH (Wasun Chantratita) wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>
> 	We are now working on nonradioactive, silver DNA sequencing
> system. Our gel must be firmly stick to the short plate and not peel off
> during silver staining process. Our problem is the adhering of
> polyacrulamide gel oftenly occur to both plates.  Perhaps our long glass
> plate might be contaminated with Bind-silane from the short plate.  We do
> wipe excessive binding solution (Bind-silane) from the short plate, we do
> apply Sigmacote solution on the long plate, we also clean our plates with
> Windex cleaner. However, this problem still repeatedly strike us. Is
> there anyone out there could help me to solve this problem?

	  Sigmacote does not work very well so use Rain-x or Pam on the Long
plate. I have also experienced that the more you use a plate the easier the
gel comes off. Expose the same side of the long plate to gel each time you
do it. If it is a brand new plate there is really nothing you can do but
keep trying and exposing the same side of the plate to gel and it will get
better. A gel with a higher amount of polyerized acrylamide will stick to
the plates more too. (the more APS and temed you add).

Steve Coon
sdcoon at umich.edu
University of Michigan Dental School