question regarding RACE kits

Matthias Zeiner mzei at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 6 04:18:05 EST 1994

On 5 Apr 1994 23:07:53 GMT, Feng Jin wrote:

>I am studying a cuticular wax gene in maize. The transcript is about 1.4-kb,
>however my largest cDNA is 0.8-kb. I would like to try to use RACE to amplify
>the 5' of this message. There are some kits available that I have seen
>advertised. I would just like to know if somebody has ever have any experience
>using these kits and which kit is best based on your experience.
>Thanks in advance.

I tried the "5'-Amplifinder RACE Kit" from Clontech. It was a complete
failure. Even the supplied control was very poor. Other controls showed,
that the reverse transcription step worked. Therefore I think anchor
ligation using T4 RNA Ligase is the problem. Could it be that Clontech's T4
RNA Ligase is trash?

Matthias Zeiner