RAIN-X on Sequence Gels?

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Wed Apr 6 21:33:24 EST 1994

In a previous article, kbarthol at moose.uvm.edu (Kirk A. Bartholomew) says:

>I recently purchased a bottle of RAIN-X for use on my sequencing gels.
>How do I apply it?  Is it a matter of simply following the directions as
>printed on the bottle?  Please post reply to this newsgroup or Email to
>kbarthol at moose.uvm.edu.  Thanks, Kirk

clean your plates with glass plus and isopropanol as i recently described.
coat the small plate with rain-x using a kimwipe, spreading it evenly.  the
amount used isnt very important - its hard to go wrong even when you try.
let the coat dry (2 min) then apply a second.  then wash with glass plus
and isopropanol, assemble the sandwich and pour.  voila!

shouldnt have to reapply the rain-x for 10-20 runs, just clean the plates
with water, glass plus and isopropanol between uses.  we have found that a
bottle lasts us for years - great stuff.