luciferase as in vitro translation control

Dave Bates dobates at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:53:29 EST 1994

In article <CntqCs.FtB at umdnj.edu>
bawagan at umdnj.edu (Hinayana Bawagan) writes:

>     I have ordered the rabbit reticulocyte system from Promega which >provides luciferase as the positive control.  I am wondering which of the >assays - standard one using luminometer or scintillation counter; or the >photographic assay - is more
convenient.  I have not done any in vitro >translation before so I will
appreciate any comments and suggestions.  Thank >you very much.

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you have cell lysates which
you just want to assay, the LSC is very sensitive, and I find it more
useful. If you want to know where abouts its expressed (i.e. in which
cells), or run it on a gel you'll need the photographic assay, unless
you have a really fancy luminometer which reads gels (?!?). I don't use
that rabbit reticulocyte system, but I do find that the LCS is quick,
easy and very sensitive for detecting expression of luc in cell culture
in general.

Dave Bates,                                        dobates at ucdavis.edu
Department of Human Physiology, University of California at Davis

No I don't have a sense of humour, now buy me a beer