RNA from teeth?

Steven Coon at umich.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:00:48 EST 1994

I am currently trying to obtain RNA from tooth pulps. I am limited to the
number of human teeth I can obtain at any one time so I liquid nitrogen
store them untill I have enough. Does anyone know how to break up the teeth
to extract the tissue before the RNA degrades? If you let it thaw in
Guanidium thiocynate solution and saw the teeth in half then pull out the
pulps the RNA degrades. The tissue must be homogenized frozen as with any
other tissue but teeth are so hard  and produce such a mess that I have not
been successful. If anyone has done this successfully please let me know!!!

Steve Coon
sdcoon at umich.edu
University of Michigan Dental School