35S in PCR machines..

Steve Rodems smrodems at students.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 9 23:27:57 EST 1994

In article <9APR94.15113746 at plato.oci.utoronto.ca>,
bahr at plato.oci.utoronto.ca wrote:

> In the past I remember there being some discussion about 35S contamination
> of thermocyclers caused by inappropriate tubes.  Is there a consensus
> about which tubes are safe or unsafe for use with 35-S ?
>
> -Fran-

I guess thin-walled tubes can have tiny cracks that radioactivity can leak
through.  However, I heard that the big problem with 35S is that when
heated at the elevated temps required for PCR it can break down possibly
into H2S which would be volatile and able to contaminate the whole machine.
 Can anybody back this up or am I dreaming things again?

--
Steve "Some day I will get the hell out of Wisconsin" Rodems

"Then I am here for the Lee family renioun ... shur-wajo-shur"