What is nitrocellulose?

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Mon Apr 11 16:26:21 EST 1994

In article <2o4mqo$ntt at crcnis1.unl.edu> mgriep at unlinfo.unl.edu (m griep)
writes:

>What is the chemical structure of nitrocellulose and
>why do proteins stick to it?
[stuff deleted]

>My second question is: why do proteins stick to it so well?

Mark,

Try this reference:

  Authors
    Van Oss CJ.  Good RJ.  Chaudhury MK.
  Title
    Mechanism of DNA (Southern) and protein (Western) blotting on cellulose
    nitrate and other membranes.
  Source
    Journal of Chromatography.  391(1):53-65, 1987 Mar 27.

I also recommend it highly to anyone doing nucleic acid or protein blotting
who wants to *understand* the procedures, rather than merely *following*
them.

Hope it helps!

Jim

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS